Christie’s Personal Teaching Mission Statement
You will find that as a lifelong learner, I continue to strengthen my skills and to gain new knowledge. I enjoy teaching at Lincoln Land Community College as this allows me the opportunity to learn from my students and my colleagues.
All learners bring a diverse perspective to the classroom–both on-campus and online–and I am motivated to provide a variety of instructional materials to meet their individual needs. I also strive to provide the highest quality learning experience to all of my students. My goal is to make a positive difference in the lives of my learners–perhaps for one day, one semester, or a lifetime.
I look forward to learning with you!
- Community College Executive Leadership (CCEL) Doctorate from University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Area of interest: Learning College, learning organizations, and organizational behavior
- Ed.M. from University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, with emphasis in Human Resource Development and team building
- B.S. in Ed from Illinois State University with minor in Business Administration
Do you like to use the computer and to work independently? Are you self-motivated, organized, good at meeting deadlines, and able to read and follow directions? You may want to consider taking one of the online courses I teach or have taught in the past.
CAS 101 Introduction to Computers
CAS 103 Computer Concepts
CAS 109 Software Applications Topics Course
CAS 121 Computer Applications and Concepts
CAS 130 Word Processing Applications—MS Word
CAS 140 Spreadsheet Applications–MS Excel
CAS 150 Database Applications–MS Access
CAS 160 Presentation & E-mail–MS PPT/ Outlook
COS 111 Office Procedures
COS 200 Office Correspondence
COS 220 Records Management
COS 225 Office Management & Supervision
COS 226 Professional Development
COS 240 Office Professional Internship
BUS 121 Introduction to Business
BUS 130 Human Resource Management
1997 – Present
LLCC Business and Information Technology Department, Springfield, IL – Professor
- Teaching a variety of courses in CAS and COS.
- Serving on numerous LLCC committees.
- Creating the COS Legal Office Assistant, Medical Office Assistant, and Help Desk degree and certificate programs.
- Co-Sponsoring IAAP.
- Instructing in COIS Department as Adjunct Faculty 1992-1997.
Illinois Virtual High School, Springfield, IL – Computer Teacher
1994 – 1997
S.E.A. Group, Inc., Springfield, IL – Corporate Computer Trainer
- Providing computer application instruction on numerous computer applications to GROWMARK, State Farm Insurance Corporation, Caterpillar, Sarah Bush-Lincoln Health Center, Illinois State Government, and small businesses, using multiple platforms.
- Customizing training programs to meet customers’ needs.
- Developing training materials and writing courseware.
Jacksonville High School, Jacksonville, IL – Computer/Business Teacher
- Teaching computer and business classes.
- Co-Coaching Boys and Girls Cross Country and Girls Track.
- Sponsoring FBLA (Future Business Leaders of America)
Honors and Achievements
- Co-author – Building a Foundation with Microsoft(R) Office 2016, Labyrinth Learning, 2016
- Co-author – Skills for Success with Microsoft Word 2013 Comprehensive, Pearson Education/Prentice Hall, 2014
- Co-author – Skills for Success with Microsoft Word 2010 Comprehensive, Pearson Education/Prentice Hall, 2010
- IBEA Writers’ Hall of Fame Award – 2016, 2015
- Pearson Master Teacher Award Nominee – 2005
- Chancellor’s List – 2005
- David R. Pierce Faculty Technology Award Nominee – 2004
- LLCC Women’s Center – Faculty Woman of the Year Nominee – 2004
- Who’s Who Among Community College Teachers – 2004, 2003, 2002, 2000, 1999
- NCIA Exemplary Award of Distinction, Honorable Mention – 2004
- Connections Awards of Distinction – 2001
- LLCC Curriculum and Innovation Grant – 2001, 2000
- LLCC Foundation Grant – 1999
- MOUS Certified in Office 2000 and Office 97 Applications – 2000, 1999
- Certified Professional Secretary – 1999
- Connections Conference Presenter – 2001
- League for Innovations Conference Presenter – 2005, 2004, 2003, 2002, 2001, 2000
- Eastern Illinois University Community College Technology Presenter – 2001
- IBEA Conference Presenter & Session Chair – 1999 to present
- Author for Human Resource Management and Organizational Structures in Encyclopedia of Business and Finance, McMillan Publishing Company – 2000
- XHTML Textbook Reviewer – 2006, 2007
- Dreamweaver Textbook Reviewer – 2005, 2004
- Word 2003, Testbank Writer – 2003
- Office XP Textbook Reviewer – 2002, 2001
- IBEA – First Vice-President – 2016-2017; Second Vice President – 2015-2016; Board Member-at-Large – 2014-2015; Awards Chair – 2011-2014; Site Selection Committee Member – 2012 and 2015; Program Planning Committee Member – 2014-Present; Scholarship Review Ad Hoc Chair – 2016-2017
- MIBEA – President – 2011-Present
- IACTE – Member 2012 – Present; Program Planning Committee – 2015-2016; Voting Delegate – 2016-Present
- NBEA, ACTE, IACTE and DPE – Member 2012-Present
- NCBEA – Member 2013-Present
- CITE 2016 and CITE 2015 – Board Member 2014-2016
- IAI Business Transfer Panel Representative – 2013-2016; Chair of BUS 902 Review Team – 2014-2016
- New Skills for Youth (NSFY) Initiative – Illinois Cross-Sector Team Representative – 2016
- Springfield Convention & Visitors Bureau – Celebrity Citizen 2012
- Junior League of Springfield – Education and Training Committee Member – 2006-2007, Nominating Committee Member – 2005-2006, Distinguished Active since 2005-2006, Projects and Grants Chair 2004-2005, Projects and Grants Asst. Chair 2003-04, Webmaster 2003-2004, Finance Vice President and Board of Directors Member 2002-2003, and Treasurer and Board of Directors Member 2001-2002, and Member in Good Standing since 1999
- Old Capitol Art Fair Board Member – Exhibitor’s Assistant Chair 2010-2011, Corporate Patron’s Chair 2008-2010, Children’s Chair 2005-2007, Children’s Assistant 2005-2006, Children’s Volunteer Coordinator 2004-2005
- Dana-Thomas House Foundation Board Member – Sumac Shop Chair 2006-2009
- Leadership Springfield – Class of 2005
- Springfield Chamber of Commerce – ATHENA Award Nominee 2005
- Kappa Delta Pi – 2002
- Kappa Delta Epsilon
- Pi Omega Pi
- Former ASTD (American Society for Training and Development) Member