We are a child care center that nurtures learning.
Open to any child in the community 15 months to kindergarten entry.
Located in Springfield, IL, the LLCC Child Development Center serves families with children between the ages of 15 months to kindergarten entry. The center is DCFS licensed and has met additional standards of high quality care including accreditation through the National Association for the Education of Young Children and recognition by Illinois as a Gold Level program through ExceleRate Illinois. The center employs a highly qualified staff and serves as a learning lab for students in the Early Childhood Education field as well as other disciplines within the college.
The Child Development Center curriculum at Lincoln Land Community College is based on developmentally appropriate practice. This type of program is planned considering the age span of the children within the group and the needs and interests of each individual child. Specifically, the program emphasizes the total development of the young child—socially, emotionally, physically, creatively, and cognitively—through curricular activities that emphasize hands-on learning in child-initiated, teacher-prepared learning environments. The program stresses the importance of children learning through play, choosing activities, learning through negotiation and conflict resolution, and receiving individualized instruction.
The program stresses the use of themes or projects that are real and relevant to children’s lives. These themes incorporate all curricular areas—art, music, science, mathematics, social studies, nutrition, health, language, creative dramatics, and fine and gross motor development. The program also stresses the importance of positive guidance techniques, which recognize both individual and group needs, while fostering the development of self-esteem, self-control, and self-help skills. Multicultural and anti-bias practices are stressed in all curricular areas.
Spaces are currently available.
The Child Development Center offers full-time or part-time care to families within the community, including those who are not students. The center is open from 6:45 a.m.-6 p.m.Monday through Friday. Rates for community members are:
- Toddler rate: $50.00 per day or $201.00 per week
- Two year old rate: $47.50 per day or $192.00 per week
- Three years and older: $45.00 per day or $183.00 per week.
For students, care is available for children at a half day rate (7 a.m.-noon or noon-5 p.m.) or a full day rate (7 a.m.-5 p.m.):
- Toddler rate (15 months to age 24 months) $20.10 per half day/$40.20 per full day
- Two year old rate – $18.37 per half day/ $36.73 full day
- Three years and older – $13.78 per half day/ $27.55 Full day
Need help paying for child care? Contact Community Connection Point.
Follow the LLCC Child Development Center on Facebook!
Child Development Center Staff
- Laurie Rhodes, Director, Since 1998
- Shannon Chizmar, Child Development Teacher, Since 2001
- Anita Glydewell, Child Development Teacher, Since 2003
- Mary Beth Ponser, Child Development Teacher, Since 2003
- Shirley Warfield-Jones, Child Development Teacher, Since 2000
- Stacy Wallace, Child Development Assistant, Since 2002
- JoAnne Thomas, Child Development Assistant, Since 2014
- Jordan Harling, Child Development Assistant, Since 2016
- Aleasha Fenton, Child Development Assistant, Since 2017