The Department of Academic Innovation and eLearning at LLCC is excited to offer access to SoftChalk Cloud and SoftChalk Create Version 10 to our faculty and staff. Please read below for more information and to learn how to get started using this exciting program.
What is SoftChalk?
The SoftChalk Company offers several integrated products that allow you to easily create and share digital content with your students or co-workers.
Who Has Access to SoftChalk?
Any LLCC employee can use SoftChalk provided he or she is creating content for a LLCC course or department and for LLCC students or employees.
How Can I Get Started with SoftChalk at LLCC?
If you are interested in using SoftChalk 10 and Cloud at LLCC, please log into Blackboard and enter the course called SFC000BL (SoftChalk v10 at LLCC) to access your SoftChalk Cloud account activation key and support and training materials. You can also contact Barry Lamb or Gary Bach to learn more. Please also check our department’s workshop schedule for workshops about SoftChalk.
The presentation at this link also offers a quick overview of SoftChalk: https://www.softchalkcloud.com/lesson/serve/9kGI7Br1AhxQoj/html
Below are some frequently asked questions regarding SoftChalk 10 and SoftChalk Cloud
- Will the SoftChalk 9 download link still be available during the transition? Yes, but you are strongly encouraged to upgrade to SoftChalk 10 as soon as possible.
- Will I lose my existing SoftChalk lessons? No. As long as you have them saved in Blackboard or a computer, you will be able to open and edit existing SoftChalk lessons.
- Should I uninstall SoftChalk 9 after successfully installing SoftChalk 10? Yes. Once a lesson is opened in SoftChalk 10, it cannot be opened in an earlier version.
- Can I still save directly to Blackboard instead of saving to the SoftChalk Cloud area? Yes, but utilizing the SoftChalk Cloud area contains many benefits and we encourage you to use this feature of SoftChalk.
- Do I need to call ITS for assistance with the install of SoftChalk 10 on my LLCC computer? No. You should be able to install this software without assistance from ITS.
Do You Have Examples of Lessons or Content Made with SoftChalk that I Can View?
Yes – please see the links below and in the main SoftChalk v10 at LLCC Blackboard Shell. The SoftChalk presentations below are examples of lessons made by faculty for their students in their college courses:
• Biology: Module 5, Lesson 2: RNA & Protein Synthesis
• Movements: An Overview (Ryan Roberts, LLCC Faculty Librarian, Adjunct Humanities Instructor)
The SoftChalk presentations below are examples of supporting college department employees or initiatives:
• Training for Tier I Individuals Engaged in Programs & Activities Involving Minors on VCU Campus
• FERPA Training for Adjunct Faculty