The purpose of the Online Course Development process is to support faculty in their efforts to ensure student success in online courses offered at LLCC. This process will also provide an organized method by which the college can manage online course development and delivery.
This process applies to all LLCC faculty members (Full-time and Adjunct) seeking approval for the development and delivery of an online course.
Online Course Development Proposal
Online course development proposals may be submitted in response to a college initiated request for proposal or may be a faculty generated proposal.
College Generated Request for Proposal
The Associate Dean, Instructional Technology and Distance Education will release an in-house RFP for online courses that the college would like to have added to the online course offerings. Faculty members wishing to respond to an in-house RFP for online course development will need to complete the RFP online course development proposal form included with the RFP memo and submit the completed form to the appropriate Dean.
Faculty Generated Proposal
Faculty members wishing to develop an online course that is not included in a college generated RFP should fill out an Online Course Development Proposal form and submit the completed form to the appropriate Dean.
Online Course Development Proposal Approval
Once an online course development proposal has been submitted to the appropriate Dean/Associate Dean the Dean/Associate Dean and the Associate Dean of Instructional Technology and Distance Education will review the proposal. Approvals will be based on:
- The college’s current online offerings
- Strategic Priorities of the colleges
- Resources available
Online Course Development Project Plan
Faculty members who have had their online course development proposals approved must schedule a meeting with the Associate Dean of Instructional Technology and Distance Education prior to the start of the online course development. At this meeting an Online Course Development Project Plan will be developed based on the following criteria:
- Professional development needs of the faculty member will be determined and appropriate training will be scheduled. (see Online Faculty Preparation and Development section)
- Design and development process for the course will be established.
- Support personnel will be selected based on technical needs of the course design.
- Development timeline and projected semester for first offering will be agreed upon.
The Online Course Development Project Plan will be distributed to the appropriate Dean by the Associate Dean of Instructional Technology and Distance Education.
Online Course Development
Development of an approved online course may begin upon the completion of the Online Course Development Project Plan.
- The online course will be developed based on the Online Course Development Project Plan.
- After development has completed a beta version of the completed course will be reviewed and tested using the LLCC QOCI Rubric.
- Once recommended revisions are made the course may be put into production.