ILLINOIS VETERANS GRANT (IVG)
YOU SHOULD APPLY FOR THIS GRANT AT LEAST 6 WEEKS BEFORE YOU PLAN TO USE YOUR BENEFITS.
How do I apply?
To obtain your Illinois Veterans Grant (IVG) award, you must complete an application through the Illinois Student Assistance Commission (ISAC). Applications may be obtained on-line or from the LLCC Veterans Affairs Office. You only need to apply once in your lifetime for this benefit.
Students must notify the LLCC Veterans' Affairs Office EACH SEMESTER you will be using your benefits.
Once ISAC has processed the application, they will send you a notice of eligibility letter that certifies your eligibility. LLCC will then be able to review your eligibility status on-line.
What determines Eligibility for the IVG?
- Must have served in the active military service for at least one year unless discharged for medical reasons or must have served in a foreign country in a time of hostilities in that country
- Must have honorable discharge
- Must have resided in Illinois within six months before entering the service and return to Illinois within six months of leaving the service
- Must be residing in Illinois and attending an Illinois public college or community college
- Students who have had at least one discharge but are still on active duty can attend an Illinois based school at out-of-state and overseas locations.
How and when are funds paid out?
IVG recipients do not receive a cash award. Your IVG award will pay tuition and mandatory fees. If you had to pay any portion of your tuition and fees out of pocket, you will get a refund once ISAC has certified your eligibility.
You must notify the LLCC Veterans Affairs Office each semester that you plan to use the Illinois Veterans Grant. If you are using GI Bill benefits, you will notify the LLCC Veterans Affairs office that you want to use your IVG benefit on your LLCC Veterans Affairs Data Worksheet.
If you are not using your GI Bill, you must stop by or call the LLCC Veterans Affairs Office telling us that you wish to use your IVG.