Regardless of one's academic standing, almost all students can benefit
from even a brief review of good learning strategies.
- Are your class notes a good study guide for the test?
- Would you like to remember more of what you read?
- How can you better organize your time?
- What's a better way to study math?
Academic Success Professionals are staff who are experts in college learning strategies. They will work with you to improve your performance in the classroom. During an appointment with an Academic Success Professional, you will use your own textbooks and assignments to learn content while also learning appropriate study strategies for your particular courses. Academic Success Professionals also give FREE workshops and seminars during the fall and spring semesters.
Are Academic Success Professionals the same thing as Peer Tutors?
- No! Peer Tutors focus on the content of a course. Academic Success Professionals teach students how to apply learning strategies in order to master a course.
How often should I meet with an Academic Success Professional?
- Some students choose to meet one time per week with an Academic Success Professional. Others make two or three appointments per week. Frequency of visits depends upon students' needs and recommendations made by the professional.
How long do learning strategy appointments last?
- Both 30-minute and 1-hour appointments are available. Longer appointments must be approved by the Learning Lab's Executive Director, Assistant Director, or by an Academic Success Professional.
What should I bring to my appointment with an Academic Success Professional?
- Click HERE for complete information on how to prepare for your learning strategies appointment.
Fall and Spring Hours
Monday through Thursday
8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Monday through Thursday
8:00 a.m. to 7:30 p.m.
Call the Learning Lab at 217.786.2396 to make an appointment with an Academic Success Professional.
Check out other helpful resources created by the Learning Lab!
1. Are you a student taking classes online or at one of the other LLCC campuses?
2. Is it difficult for you to travel to Springfield to attend appointments with one of our Academic Success Professionals?
3. Are you an instructor looking for additional resources to use in your classes?
If you answered "yes' to any of these questions, scroll down the left side of the page and look for additional online resources from the Learning Lab that can be accessed at home or in class.
- Our Online Resources page provides a listing of helpful content-related links organized by subject.
- Watch a series of short YouTube videos produced by the LLCC Learning Lab and Instructional Technology & Distance Education department to learn better study skills from the convenience of home.
- Our Successful Study Habit Feature of the Week page is a collection of research-based study skills articles written by the Learning Lab's Academic Success Professionals.
- Scroll through our Helpful Handouts page where you can read, print, and distribute copies of all the handouts created and used in the Learning Lab.
Don't forget to check out the Learning Lab's Seminars and Workshops page to learn about the FREE seminars and workshops offered each semester!