“The peer tutors really care about our success.”
“My tutor was very patient and took extra time to explain difficult concepts to me.”
“My Math tutor was great!”
The Center for Academic Success offers FREE peer tutoring services! Lincoln Land Community College is committed to providing quality academic support services to its students. The Center for Academic Success offers one-on-one peer tutoring in many courses at no cost to the student. Peer tutoring is available by appointment and both day and evening hours are offered. Our Information Desk staff can help you select a tutor who meets your time requirements.
How do I know if I need a tutor?
- You failed the class previously.
- You have attended the class for at least two weeks and feel you do not understand the material.
- You make low grades on tests.
- You have trouble completing assignments.
- You do not understand the textbook.
How do I get a tutor?
- First, discuss the problems you are having with your instructor; maybe he or she can help.
- Stop by the Center for Academic Success Information Desk and request a tutor. The Information Desk staff will help you schedule an appointment.
What do I need to bring to the tutoring session?
- Your time will be more productive if you have specific questions or problems you wish to go over with the tutor.
- Also, it is your responsibility to bring the textbook, class notes, and any other materials you wish to review.
- Click HERE for complete information on how to prepare for your peer tutoring appointment.
Are tutors available for every course?
- Tutors are usually available for core courses such as math, history, science classes and other high demand courses. We try very hard to have tutors in a variety of areas, but sometimes we just can’t find them for certain courses.
- If we do not have a tutor listed for the particular course you are taking, please speak to the Student Academic Support Programs Coordinator .
I’m planning to retake a portion of the LLCC placement (Accuplacer) test. Can I meet with a tutor to help me prepare?
- Yes! LLCC students who wish to retake a portion of the Accuplacer test may schedule appointments with a tutor to help them prepare for the re-take.
To make an appointment with a peer tutor, visit the Center for Academic Success on the lower level of Sangamon Hall or call us at 217.786.2396.
GUIDELINES FOR MEETING WITH A PEER TUTOR
How much tutoring can I get?
- You may schedule up to 8 hours of tutoring per week.
- Each tutoring session is scheduled to last for 1 hour.
- Appointments may be scheduled up to 2 weeks in advance.
What if I can’t keep a scheduled tutoring appointment?
- Call the Center for Academic Success at 786-2396 at least 24 hours before the scheduled meeting time.
- If a student does not show up for a tutoring appointment within the first 15 minutes of the scheduled time, and no call was made to notify the Center for Academic Success of a delay or cancellation, a NO-SHOW will be declared.
- Students who accumulate two (2) NO-SHOWS will not be allowed to schedule future appointments with a Peer Tutor until meeting with the Student Academic Support Programs Coordinator or the Executive Director.
Please be sure to keep the confirmation card you receive when you schedule appointments with tutors. These are used to verify the dates and times of your appointments. It is a good idea to bring them with you to the tutoring session.
Help! It’s Sunday and the Center for Academic Success is closed! How can I get tutoring assistance?
Lincoln Land Community College also offers FREE ONLINE TUTORING to students through Brainfuse Online Tutoring, Inc. Students must access Brainfuse through their Blackboard account. Simply log into Blackboard and look for the button called “BrainfuseHelpNow” along the left side of the board. This button will log students directly into the Brainfuse online tutoring website. THE POP-UP BLOCKER FEATURE MUST BE TURNED OFF IN ORDER FOR THE BRAINFUSE WINDOW TO OPEN! For assistance, stop by the Center for Academic Success or call 217.786.2396.
To Access Brainfuse Online Tutoring, go to the Blackboard Login Page.