YOUR WRITING CENTER EXPERIENCE
Consultants are available to work with you in any writing assignment in any class at the college as well as scholarship letters, college application materials and similar documents. They are the same instructors who teach composition, literature and humanities courses.
Before your appointment
- You have signed up for a 45-minute individual appointment.
- Arrive on time. If you are more than 5 minutes late and someone else is waiting, your slot will be given to that person.
- Bring a copy of the assignment instructions any work you have completed for it, and your instructor’s evaluation rubric.
- If you are revising, bring any feedback you have received from your instructor.
During your appointment
- Sign in for your appointment using your student I.D. number.
- Communicate your primary concerns to the consultant.
- TAKE NOTES.
- Don’t hesitate to ask questions if you need further clarification from the consultant.
- Add y our own ideas during the conversation. You are the author of this assignment; consequently, take an active role during your visit.
After your appointment
- Before signing our of your appointment, take a short survey about your visit.
- Look over the notes you took and apply that feedback to your draft or version.
- Allow enough time before your instructor’s assignment deadline to return to the Center for further discussion of your revised copy.
*Students who can’t visit the Writing center in person can utilize Smarthinking, an online service that also offers professional feedback on writing. Visit our website for more information about Smarthinking.