The IRS Data Retrieval Tool is unavailable to use on the 17-18 FAFSA. You can still submit your 17-18 FAFSA by entering the data from your 2015 tax return. The IRS Data Retrieval Tool is available for the 18-19 FAFSA and will download 2016 tax information.
How to use IRS Data Retrieval after you’ve submitted a FAFSA:
- Go to www.fafsa.gov,
- Login using your FSA ID. Click Next,
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the link, ‘You may also: Make corrections to your FAFSA’,
- You will have to enter a password to continue/or reset password,
- At the top of the page, click the ‘Financial Information’ link,
- Click on the ‘View Option to link to IRS’ link,
- Then click, ‘Link to IRS’,
- You will be prompted that you are now leaving FAFSA on the Web. Click ‘OK’,
- You will then enter your personal information as required, and your filing status,
- Your address you enter MUST match the information on your 2015 Tax Return for the 16-17 FAFSA and for the 17-18 FAFSA,
- Click ‘Submit’,
- Your tax information will appear. Scroll to the bottom of the page.
- Click the check mark box that says, ‘Transfer my tax information into the FAFSA’,
- Click, ‘Transfer Now’,
- You should get a message stating that your information was successfully transferred,
- At the top of the page, click on ‘Sign and Submit’,
- Review your information that appears and scroll all the way down and click, ‘Submit’.