The Department of Academic Innovation and eLearning is excited to offer access to SoftChalk Cloud and SoftChalk Create to our faculty and staff. Please read below for more information and to learn how to get started using this exciting program.
Using SoftChalk Create and SoftChalk Cloud with the Canvas Learning Management System
The Blackboard Learning Management System will be unavailable to LLCC shortly after the conclusion of the Spring 2021 semester. Please see the important information below for using SoftChalk with the Canvas Learning Management System.
The steps for this process are outlined below:
- Establish a SoftChalk Cloud account with the LLCC site license and activation code
- Open the SoftChalk Create Software on your computer’s desktop
- In SoftChalk Create, open a lesson that is currently saved in Blackboard by going to File > Open from LMS
- In SoftChalk Create, go to the menu at the top and chooses File > Save to SoftChalk Cloud. You will save your lesson in a folder in your SoftChalk Cloud account. You can create additional folders to better organize your lessons if needed.
- Repeat steps 3-5 for additional lessons that were created in SoftChalk Create and saved in Blackboard using File > Save to LMS
This process is explained in detail in the presentation at the link below.
Detailed directions for sharing a lesson saved in SoftChalk Cloud with students in Canvas can be found in the presentation below.
What is SoftChalk?
The SoftChalk Company offers several integrated products that allow you to easily create and share digital content with your students or co-workers.
SoftChalk Create is SoftChalk’s e-learning authoring software that allows you to create web-based lessons for students or training materials for employees that explain department procedures or support department initiatives. The software assists you with the graphic design, web page creation, and building interactive components so that you can focus on the educational content and the message of your presentation. Taking away the technical challenges makes it easy to create professional looking, media-rich, interactive and engaging content for your students or end users.
SoftChalk Cloud is your own cloud space where you can easily store, manage, and share your SoftChalk lessons and other content. Content can be shared from your Learning Management System, in an email, a blog, or anywhere else a web link can be placed.
SoftChalk Share is SoftChalk’s Open Education Resource learning object repository with thousands of free learning materials, created by educators. You can share your own materials made with SoftChalk Create or search for quizzes, learning activities, or complete lessons to use in your own digital lessons or curriculum for free.
Who Has Access to SoftChalk?
Any LLCC employee can use SoftChalk provided he or she is creating content for a LLCC course or department for LLCC students or employees.
How Can I Get Started with SoftChalk at LLCC?
If you are interested in using SoftChalk Cloud and Create at LLCC, contact Barry Lamb or Gary Bach to be added to the SoftChalk download and training course shell in Blackboard. Upon confirmation of being added, please log in to Blackboard and enter the course called SFC000BL (SoftChalk Cloud & Create at LLCC) to access your SoftChalk Cloud account activation key and support and training materials. Please also check our department’s workshop schedule for workshops about SoftChalk.
Below are some frequently asked questions regarding SoftChalk and SoftChalk Cloud.
- Can I install SoftChalk on more than one computer?
Yes – you can install SoftChalk Create on a LLCC work machine and a personal computer.
- Do I need to call ITS for assistance with the install of SoftChalk on my LLCC computer?
No. You should be able to install this software without assistance from ITS.
- How do I share SoftChalk lessons with my students?
After building lessons in SoftChalk Create, you upload the lesson to your SoftChalk Cloud area and share them with a web link.
- Do you have examples of lessons or content made with SoftChalk that I can view?
Yes – please see the links below for examples of SoftChalk lessons:
- Who do I contact for assistance with SoftChalk at LLCC?
Please contact Barry Lamb or Gary Bach in the Department of Academic Innovation and eLearning.