Prior to thorough reading of text material, make note of the:
- Learning objectives
- Pictures, graphs, other visuals
- Italicized words
- Chapter summary
- Key concepts (from subheadings)
Write in your notebook:
- A pre-reading summary (predict what the chapter will be about)
- Specific questions for directed reading (using chapter subheadings)
- All new vocabulary
After reading the text material, ask yourself:
- Did you predict important elements of the chapter correctly in your pre-reading summary?
- Can you answer the pre-reading questions now?