Print and complete the Self Analysis Scheduling handout to assess your personal planning habits.
How Plan Conscious Are You?
True or false?
- When I go to bed at night I usually decide the time I will get up. (T/F)
- When I give a party, I like to know beforehand what will take place and at about what time I will serve refreshments, and the like. (T/F)
- I eat meals at scheduled times most days. (T/F)
- I keep an appointment book for noting definite engagements I have made. (T/F)
- Each workday or schoolday morning I rise at about the same time. (T/F)
- I seem more anxious than most of my friends and family to arrive at places promptly. (classes, parties, games, appointments and other events.) (T/F)
- Before a weekend or vacation period, I usually make a general plan of what I hope to do. (T/F)
- When I sit down with a book (pleasure reading or a textbook), I usually decide how long I’m going to read or study it. (T/F)
- I take baths or showers at regular intervals and at about the same time of day. (T/F)
- When I am away from home, I keep in touch with my family. (T/F)
Interpretation- count “true” answers.
Scores can be interpreted as follows:
9-10: You are a systematic planner. At times this might prove to be a stumbling block. You should ask yourself, “Am I a slave to my plans?” “Are the people annoyed by my inflexibility?”
7-8: You are a moderate planner. You like to plan but your life is not ruled by planning. You’re on the right track.
5-6: You plan sometimes but you don’t always think ahead. You may manage quite well this way; on the other hand, if you find that you are giving up sleep to finish your homework, or have no time for leisure activities, perhaps you should rethink your approach to planning.
0-4: You don’t like to plan. Maybe you see planning as restricting your freedom. However, your failure to plan can make you appear careless or thoughtless. You might want to give some thought to planning.
By taking this test and discussing the results, you should be able to see where you fall in the scheduling spectrum. No matter what your personality type, every student can learn to make a study schedule that works, a plan that will allow you to keep up with your assignments while still having time for other responsibilities or relaxation.