The DANTES Subject Standardized Tests (DSST) program gives students the opportunity to receive proficiency credit for learning acquired outside the traditional college classroom. This is a Prometric program delivered by colleges and universities throughout the United States.
Registration and Preparation
An appointment is necessary to complete a DSST exam. Call, email, or stop by the testing center to make an appointment. On the day of the exam, you will be required to show valid, state-issued identification that includes a current photo and signature.
There are several study tools available to prep for an examination. Exam descriptions and sample questions are available on the DSST website at www.getcollegecredit.com. Online DSST practice exams and comprehensive study courses can also be purchased. The official DSST test preparation guide can be found at http://www.getcollegecredit.com/testprep.
The total cost to test is $95.
- $85 is payable to DSST by credit card on the day of the exam.
- A $15 administration fee is due to LLCC. This can be paid by cash or money order.
Facts about DSST Testing
- There are 37 DSST exams in the areas of Social Science, Business, Mathematics, Applied Technology, Humanities, and Physical Science.
- Most DSST exams feature computer-based delivery (principles of Public Speaking is the exception).
- Examinees have a maximum of two hours to complete the test.
- You must wait six months before retaking any exam.
- You will be asked to provide the correct DSST school code at the time you test. A directory of colleges and universities can be found at www.getcollegecredit.com.
- There is a $20 fee to have a transcript sent to your college/university.
- LLCC does not accept DSST scores for proficiency credit.