Advisory committees serve as liaisons to business, industry, labor and the state’s educational systems for the purpose of creating a highly skilled and readily available workforce critical to the success of the industries in this community. Your involvement in the ongoing development and implementation of strategies that will promote a robust industry can have a significant impact on the economic and workforce development of this area.
Program advisory committee members are presented with opportunities to impact workforce training, career development, curriculum development and community-wide initiatives and projects. As an advisory committee member, you will be joining a network of industry, education and community leaders working toward the common goal of maintaining and growing a skilled workforce. This group is instrumental in making recommendations to the program on strategic planning and goal assessment.
We encourage you to utilize this opportunity in several ways:
- Build your professional network through committee meetings and various committee work as well in the recruitment of new members
- Increase your personal skills from the work you do with the committee from meeting management, group processes and systems planning
- Partner with faculty to create stronger pathways to recruit students and graduates to fill your hiring needs
- Learn in greater depth about the emerging trends, policy concerns and occupational supply and demand of your industry to better develop your own company’s strategic plans
Advisory committees meet at least once a year, ideally twice. However, members may meet more frequently if working on specific programs. Meetings will be kept to a maximum of two hours.
What is expected of committee members?
- Attend and participate in all meetings.
- Utilize your professional expertise to review and assess program curriculum, outcomes, facilities and other various program data to better help it meet industry standards.
- Identify emerging labor market needs, trends and opportunities.
- Identify job skill requirements and gaps, including technical skill standards we well as soft skills.
- Assist in faculty and student recruiting processes and promote awareness of the program in professional and community venues and networking events.
- Identify areas and groups where strategic partnerships can benefit all parties to further the industry.
- Assist in raising funds or donations for scholarships, equipment and other program needs.
- Assist in education enrichment with site visits or field trips for students, provide classroom speakers from business and industry, and identify possibilities for faculty professional development.
- Network with fellow advisory committee members and have fun!
Committees by Department
Arts and Communication
- Audio Production
- Graphic Design
- Screen Graphics
Capital City Training Center
- Health Focused – Short Term
- Certified Nursing Assistant
- Diagnostic Medical Sonography — View most recent DMS Advisory Committee meeting minutes.
- Emergency Medical Services — View most recent EMS Advisory Committee meeting minutes.
- Fire Science
- Licensed Practical Nursing
- Neurodiagnostic Technology — View most recent NDT Advisory Committee meeting minutes.
- Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Radiography — View most recent Radiography Advisory Committee meeting minutes.
- Registered Nursing
- Respiratory Therapy Assistant — View most recent Respiratory Care Advisory Committee meeting minutes.
- Surgical Technology
Mathematics and Computer Science
- Computer Science
Natural and Agricultural Sciences
- Agriculture Business Management
- Agriculture Fertilizer Operations
- Horticulture/Landscape Management
Social Science and Business
- Accounting and Business
- Criminal Justice
- Early Childhood Education
- Automotive Technology — View most recent Automotive Technology Advisory Committee meeting minutes.
- Aviation — View most recent Aviation Advisory Committee meeting minutes.
- Commercial Electrical Maintenance
- Construction Occupations
- Highway Construction Careers Training (HIRE Education) — View most recent Highway Construction Careers Training Advisory Committee meeting minutes.
- Hospitality and Culinary Arts — View most recent Hospitality and Culinary Arts Committee meeting minutes.
- HVACR — View most recent HVACR Advisory Committee meeting minutes.
- Truck Driver Training
- Welding — View most recent Welding Advisory Committee meeting minutes.