The LLCC Honors Program provides unique educational experiences for academically superior students in order to challenge, educate, and reward them at a level consistent with their intellectual needs and abilities. The Honors Program emphasizes critical thinking, greater student/teacher interaction, in-depth reading and discussion, smaller classes, special study facilities, and contact with other high ability students. All students who meet the eligibility requirements are encouraged to participate.
Benefits to the Students
- Priority registration. Honors Program students are granted the privilege of registering as “priority students,” which allows them to register for classes before open registration.
- Special Honors classes with low enrollments. Honors classes usually keep a faster pace and facilitate greater interaction between students, providing a rich, diverse classroom experience. (Students may also turn a regularly scheduled section of a course into an Honors course by contracting with the instructor to broaden the scope of the course with specially-designed projects or activities.)
- Participation in decision making. Honors students have a voice in the planning and direction of the Honors Program through participation in the Honors Program Council.
- Transcript recognition. Each Honors course is designated with a plus (+) sign on your transcript. Transcripts of students who complete the program are inscribed with the phrase “Honors Program: All requirements have been completed.”
- Retreats and club activities. Over the course of the year, students in the Honors Program participate in fundraisers, team-building retreats, and other group activities designed to facilitate connections within the program.
- Honors Program Study Lounge. A study lounge for the exclusive use of Honors Program students is equipped with computers and Internet access. The study lounge serves as a gathering place for Honors Program students to study, relax, and socialize.