The LLCC Honors Program provides unique educational experiences for academically superior students in order to challenge, educate and reward them at a level consistent with their intellectual needs and abilities. The Honors Program emphasizes critical thinking, greater student/teacher interaction, in-depth reading and discussion, smaller classes, special study facilities and contact with other high-ability students. All students who meet the eligibility requirements are encouraged to participate.
Benefits to the Students
- Priority registration. Honors Program students are granted the privilege of registering as “priority students,” which allows them to register for classes before open registration.
- Special Honors classes with low enrollments. Honors classes usually keep a faster pace and facilitate greater interaction between students, providing a rich, diverse classroom experience. (Students may also turn a regularly scheduled section of a course into an honors course by contracting with the instructor to broaden the scope of the course with specially-designed projects or activities.)
- Participation in decision-making. Honors students have a voice in the planning and direction of the Honors Program through participation in the Honors Program Council.
- Transcript recognition. Each honors course is designated with a plus (+) sign on your transcript. Transcripts of students who complete the program are inscribed with the phrase “Honors Program: All requirements have been completed.”
- Retreats and club activities. Over the course of the year, students in the Honors Program participate in fundraisers, team-building retreats and other group activities designed to facilitate connections within the program.
- Honors Program Study Lounge. A study lounge for the exclusive use of Honors Program students is equipped with computers and internet access. The study lounge serves as a gathering place for Honors Program students to study, relax and socialize.