At a Glance
What is adult literacy?
Adult literacy is using printed and written information to function in society, achieve one's goals and develop one's knowledge and potential.
LLCC Adult Education is currently seeking volunteer tutors.
- Opportunities are available to tutor in reading, math and English as a Second Language.
- Volunteers should be available to tutor one hour per week.
- Tutor training is provided.
To volunteer, call 217-786-2572.
What are the responsibilities of a tutor?
Responsibilities of a volunteer tutor are to provide assistance to students on a one-to-one basis, as a member of a small group or within a classroom setting. Time requirements for tutors are minimum of one hour per week. Tutors must submit hours and a learner progress sheet to the region coordinator monthly.
Do I qualify to be a tutor?
- Willingness to complete duties and responsibilities
- Ability to read
- Successful participation in scheduled training sessions and programs
- Dedication to continuing education
- Positive approach to teaching
- Nonjudgmental attitude
- Desire to help others
Learn more about Secretary of State's Adult Volunteer Literacy Initiative.