Financial Aid FAQs

To apply for most financial aid, you will need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This application is used to determine eligibility for state and federal grants, and federal student loans.

How much financial aid a student can received is based off their expected family contribution (EFC) number. This all depends on your or your parent(s) income, living expenses, assets and savings, as well as the cost of attendance. This amount is determined when you complete the FAFSA.

It depends. You do not have to include parent information if you are:

  • 24 or older by Dec. 31 of the school year for which aid is requested
  • Married or separated but not divorced
  • Working on master’s/doctorate program
  • Have children OR dependents who live with you that receive more than half of support from you
  • Currently serving in or are a veteran of the Armed Forces
  • Orphan, foster care, ward of court any time at or after age of 13 (requires documentation)
  • Emancipated minor or in legal guardianship (requires documentation)
  • Unaccompanied homeless youth (requires documentation)

If a student does not have a special circumstance and continues the FAFSA without parent information, they will only be eligible for unsubsidized loans.

No. You will only need to put the parent you have lived with the most in the past 12 months. If the time spent with each parent was equal, you will report the parent’s information who provided the most financial support.

If the parent you spent the most time with is remarried, you would need to list the stepparent and their income on the FAFSA as well.

Yes. If a student has been awarded financial aid and they have remaining aid left over after all their charges have been covered on their account, then they can use financial aid to buy books. About two weeks before each semester starts, students can use their leftover financial aid at the LLCC Bookstore. 

If you drop all your classes, your financial aid will not cover the total amount spent in the Bookstore. Review the Bookstore return policy.

Yes. However, you will only be eligible for an unsubsidized student loan and your parents will need to fill out a Parent Refusal Form. If you have an unusual circumstance as to why your parents are refusing to give their information, please contact the Financial Aid office at 217-786-2237 or at

You can check the status of your financial aid on your LoggerCentral under Financial Aid. Under your checklist it will show you whether your FAFSA is still being reviewed.

You can accept your loans through your LoggerCentral under Financial Aid and then Review and Accept your Financial Aid Award Package. You can also accept your loans by filling out our Loan Confirmation Form and then turn it into our office.

Financial aid is applied to student accounts approximately six weeks after classes have started. If you have short semester or module classes, some of your financial aid might not be applied until after those classes have begun. If you have any further questions, please contact the Financial Aid Office at 217-786-2237 or at

If you need help filling out your FAFSA, you can set up an appointment by calling 217-786-2237 or emailing If you would like help over the phone, you can contact the FAFSA Helpline at 1-800-433-3243.

Please bring copies of your taxes for the correct year as well as any other financial information we might need for your FAFSA.

The Department of Education selects approximately 30% of applicants for verification. If selected, you will need to submit the correct documentation to our office in order to complete your FAFSA. You can review what documents are needed through your LoggerCentral under Financial Aid and then Required Documents, or by contacting our office at 217-786-2237 or

A student will need to fill out a new FAFSA every academic year. Each year on Oct. 1 the new FAFSA for the next school year is available for students to apply. For LLCC, each summer will begin the new FAFSA year and that FAFSA will cover summer, fall and spring courses.

If you make a mistake on your FAFSA, you can simply log into your FAFSA account and select “Make FAFSA Corrections.” Once you do that and submit it, we will receive the corrections from the Department of Education in about 3-5 business days.

You can see what your refund options are by visiting our refund methods page.

You have received this notification because you have not met the minimal standard(s) the U.S. Department of Education requires students to have to ensure students are making progress toward the completion of their academic program. Students must meet minimum requirements in the following categories:

  • Cumulative GPA
  • Cumulative Completion rate
  • Maximum Time Frame

To view these specific requirements, please review the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy for Financial Aid or contact us at 217-786-2237 or