English faculty are available to work with you by appointment on any writing assignment for any class at the college as well as scholarship letters, college application materials and similar documents.
Important notice about remote Writing Center services
LLCC Writing Center staff are available by appointment for remote tutoring sessions through Zoom. Information on how to access remote Writing Center services can be found below.
Meet with a tutor via Zoom
A Zoom video conference allows students to talk to a tutor in real time about their writing assignments. The Writing Center recommends this method of tutoring for students to get the most out of their tutoring session. For more information or to schedule an appointment to meet with a tutor for a live consultation via Zoom, call the Writing Center at 217-786-2341.
Other means of remote tutoring are available upon request for students with special needs who cannot meet with a tutor using Zoom.
Maximize your writing center experience
Listed below are tips to help you maximize your scheduled appointment. You should also be aware of Writing Center policies for scheduling, late arrivals and cancellations.
Before your appointment: Prepare
- You have signed up for a 45-minute individual appointment.
- Arrive on time. If you are more than 5 minutes late and someone else is waiting, your slot will be given to that person.
- Bring a copy of the assignment instructions any work you have completed for it, and your instructor's evaluation rubric.
- If you are revising, bring any feedback you have received from your instructor.
During your appointment: Communicate
- Sign in for your appointment using your student I.D. number.
- Communicate your primary concerns to the consultant.
- Take notes.
- Don't hesitate to ask questions if you need further clarification from the consultant.
- Add y our own ideas during the conversation. You are the author of this assignment; consequently, take an active role during your visit.
After your appointment: Implement
- Before signing our of your appointment, take a short survey about your visit.
- Look over the notes you took and apply that feedback to your draft or version.
- Allow enough time before your instructor's assignment deadline to return to the Center for further discussion of your revised copy.