What is the Writing Center?
The LLCC Writing Center, sponsored by the Department of English & Humanities, is located in LLCC's Center for Academic Success on the lower level of Sangamon Hall. It is staffed by English faculty and Writing Center specialists. The Writing Center serves students across the curriculum with any writing assignment for any class in any subject area.
If, like most writers, you sometimes have trouble writing, see a Writing Center consultant, who can help you overcome obstacles to produce clear, coherent and interesting prose.
- informal one-on-one tutoring
- immediate and specific feedback on traditional and multimedia texts
- positive encouragement
- professional advice on drafts and revisions
- focused study on grammatical errors
Why visit the Writing Center?
The secret to better grades is knowing when to ask for help. The Writing Center is an excellent resource for any student working on any type of writing assignment. Whether you are struggling to formulate a thesis statement or need help correcting run-on sentences, the Writing Center is the place to go. We have found that most students become frustrated with writing assignments for diverse reasons.
You should visit the Writing Center if any of the following statements apply to you:
- "I can't get started."
- "I don't know what to write about."
- "My grammar is incorrect."
- "I don't know how to use citations."
- "I can't write a research paper."
- “I want feedback on my paper before I turn it in.”
Writing is a skill that can be developed through study and practice. James Michener said, "I'm not a very good writer, but I'm an excellent rewriter." You can be an excellent rewriter too! It is not a mysterious activity engaged in only by professionals.
- Computers & printing
- Helpful handouts
- Grammar exercises
- MLA & APA citation guides
- Information about services
- Writing Center events
- Helpful handouts
- Video tutorials