Using ultrasound technology to create images for assessment and diagnosis
The current application deadline is June, 30, 2021 by 5:00pm
Key Program Features
A diagnostic medical sonographer is a highly skilled professional who provides patient care services. The sonographer uses specialized sonographic equipment to create images of structures within the human body. Sonographers have direct patient contact and may provide this service in a variety of medical settings where the physician is responsible for the use of and interpretation of appropriate procedures. LLCC’s program prepares students to secure their American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonography credentials and entry-level work in the abdomen and obstetrics/gynecology specialty areas. Vascular instruction is also included in the coursework.
According to the U.S. Department of Labor, employment of diagnostic medical sonographers is predicted grow 19.5 percent from 2018 to 2028. The 2018 median annual salary for this field was $72,510.
View information on admission to the program, course requirements and recommended course sequence.
How to Apply
We want to ensure that each student is prepared to be successful in the LLCC DMS program. Please note that applicants must complete the admission process outlined below in addition to the LLCC general enrollment steps. In order to prepare for applying to the program please follow the steps listed below.
- Step 1: Carefully review the DMS program admission requirements and be familiar with the LLCC DMS Admission Checklist. Please note that there are special requirements that applicants must complete in order to be eligible to apply to the program. All of these requirements must be complete before a potential candidate may apply.
- Step 2: Be aware of DMS program application dates and deadlines. We will admit eight students the first year and will increase student enrollment each fall semester. Applications must be received by June, 30 2021, by 5 p.m. to be considered for the class starting that August.
- Step 3: Schedule an appointment with a health professions student success coach to map out your plan! The health professions student success coaches are happy to assist you in working toward your educational goal of applying to the DMS program. To ensure that you stay on the right path toward this goal, we require that all potential DMS applicants meet with a student success coach. Your student success coach will review with you in detail the LLCC DMS Admission Checklist. Once you have completed all program admission requirements, your student success coach will provide you with the DMS program application. For information regarding their office hours and appointment scheduling, please visit the LLCC Student Success page.
Time: All sessions are 5:30-6:30 p.m.
- Location: LLCC Main Campus – Logan Hall, Room 1116
- October 15, 2020 – This meeting will be conducted via Zoom. Pre-registration is required by Oct. 14, 2020 by 5:00 pm. Once you are registered, you will receive an email with the link for the Zoom meeting.
- November 16, 2020 – This meeting will be conducted via Zoom. Pre-registration is required by Nov. 15, 2020 by 5:00 pm. Once you are registered, you will receive an email with the link for the Zoom meeting.
- December 9, 2020 – This meeting will be conducted via Zoom. Pre-registration is required by Dec. 8, 2020 by 5:00 pm. Once you are registered, you will receive an email with the link for the Zoom meeting.
Investment in Your Future
Diagnostic medical sonography (DMS) courses have a variable tuition rate. For the 2020-2021 academic year, these DMS courses are $264.50 per credit hour for in-district residents. Fees are $11 per credit hour. Get more information on tuition and fees.
Books sold separately.
There are ways to get help paying for college. Learn more about paying for college.
The program will be seeking accreditation with the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs.