Lincoln Land Community College is committed to providing quality academic support services to its students. The LLCC Center for Academic Success offers FREE one-on-one peer tutoring in many courses to currently enrolled LLCC students. Peer tutoring is available by appointment and both day and evening hours are offered. Our Information Desk staff can help you select a tutor who meets your time requirements.
How do I know if I need a tutor?
- You failed the class previously.
- You have attended the class for at least two weeks and feel you do not understand the material.
- You make low grades on tests.
- You have trouble completing assignments.
- You do not understand the textbook.
How do I find a tutor?
- First, discuss the problems you are having with your instructor; maybe he or she can help.
- Stop by the LLCC Center for Academic Success on the lower level of Sangamon Hall or call us at 217-786-2396 and request a tutor. Our staff will help you schedule an appointment.
How much tutoring time can I receive?
- Peer tutoring is not intended to take the place of classroom instruction. Students may schedule up to 5 hours of tutoring per week for all combined courses. Additional tutoring hours require the approval of the Student Academic Support Programs Coordinator.
- Each tutoring session is scheduled to last for one hour.
- Appointments may be scheduled up to two weeks in advance.
What do I need to bring to the tutoring session?
- Your time will be more productive if you have specific questions or problems you wish to go over with the tutor.
- Also, it is your responsibility to bring the textbook, class notes, and any other materials you wish to review.
Are tutors available for every course?
- Tutors are usually available for core courses such as math, history, science classes and other high demand courses. We try very hard to have tutors in a variety of areas, but sometimes we just can’t find them for certain courses.
- If we do not have a tutor listed for the particular course you are taking, please speak to the student academic support programs coordinator.
What if I need to cancel a tutoring appointment?
- Call the LLCC Center for Academic Success at 217-786-2396 at least 24 hours before the scheduled meeting time.
- If a student does not show up for a tutoring appointment within the first 15 minutes of the scheduled time, and no call was made to notify the LLCC Center for Academic Success of a delay or cancellation, a NO-SHOW will be declared.
- Students who accumulate two (2) NO-SHOWS will not be allowed to schedule future appointments with a peer tutor until meeting with the Student Academic Support Programs Coordinator or the Executive Director.
LLCC also offers FREE online tutoring to currently enrolled students through Brainfuse Online Tutoring, Inc. Students must access Brainfuse through their Blackboard Login Page. Simply log into Blackboard, and look for the button called BrainfuseHelpNow along the left side of the board. This button will log students directly into the Brainfuse online tutoring website. NOTE: The pop-up blocker feature must be turned off in order for the Brainfuse window to open!
For assistance, stop by the LLCC Center for Academic Success or call 217-786-2396.