ECG Technicians (commonly known as EKG in the healthcare community) conduct electrocardiograms and stress tests, prepare ECG test results, schedule appointments, and more! This course is designed for CNAs, EMTs, MAs or any licensed/credentialed healthcare professional looking to add the ECG Technician qualification to their current credentials. Students will learn anatomy and physiology of the heart, basic electrophysiology, and placement for 5- and 12-lead ECGs.
After performing 10 live ECGs, students will be eligible to take the NHA (National Healthcareer Association) Certified EKG Technician exam.
- Outpatient clinics
- Physician Offices
- Medical and Diagnostic Laboratories
- Ambulatory Healthcare Services
$16.92-$27.30 per hour (www2.illinois.gov/ides)
Note: Salary may vary depending on location, experience and hours.
Employment of cardiovascular technologists and technicians, including vascular technologists, is projected to grow 10 percent from 2016 to 2026, faster than the average for all occupations.
$999 (includes books and NHA exam)
Eligible candidates must:
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Have a high school diploma or G.E.D.
- Be proficient in English
- Must be a licensed/credentialed healthcare professional (CNA, LPN, RN, EMT, MA, etc.)
This course is hybrid and includes an online component.
- 40 hours classroom instruction
- Online readings, simulations and lectures
- Students will be scheduled to work with a partnering hospital/clinic to complete 10 live EKG’s on participating individuals.
Note: This course is not eligible for financial aid; however, payment plans are available.
Affiliations and Credentials
The Electrocardiogram Technician training course prepares students for additional roles in the healthcare community. As an entry-level clinical profession, this program is ideal for students in the allied health care field looking to advance or enhance their current credentials. The certification students will be eligible to take following the completion of this program include:
Board: National Health Career Association (NHA)
- Exam: Certified EKG Technician (CET)