MIA/POW Scholarship

Students should apply for benefits no later than 10 weeks prior to the first semester of attendance.

Who is eligible?

Survivors and dependents of a veteran who was missing in action or a prisoner of war and whose death or total disability was service connected may be eligible for up to four years of tuition assistance at Illinois community colleges or state universities.

How do I apply?

Get more details, and complete an application on the Illinois Student Assistance Commission (ISAC) website. A direct link to the student portal is also available for program applications and status checks.

How are recipients selected?

The State of Illinois Department of Veterans Affairs will determine your qualification for state MIA/POW benefits.

How and when are funds paid out?

State MIA/POW recipients do not receive a cash award. Your tuition and activity fees will be paid by the State of Illinois. Students are responsible for payment of books and other fees.

Upon verification of eligibility, the applicant will be issued an I.D. card. It's important to remember to submit a copy of your state I.D. card to the LLCC Veterans Affairs Office every semester to pay your tuition and activity fees.