LLCC commits to increase our students' persistence and completion rates and resolve barriers to enrollment.
In an effort to provide assistance to students experiencing homelessness, LLCC has designated a staff member to serve as a liaison to assist students enrolled at the institution who are experiencing housing insecurities.
Claire Heffron-McKinney is happy to help connect you with campus and community resources for all your needs surrounding housing insecurities.
Support we offer
- Providing referral information to campus and community partners for help regarding: Agency referrals to assist with housing, counseling information, student engagement and club information, academic support and food pantry (on campus/off campus) resources.
- Providing a safe and welcoming environment to discuss goals and needs
- Assisting students in exploring options for paying for college and/or financial aid
- We adhere to FERPA (the law that protects student privacy). Your information is private.
Mental health resources
Post-secondary education services for youth in care
If you are a student exiting DCFS/youth in care, you might be eligible for educational funding. For more information, visit the Illinois DCFS website.
LLCC Food Pantry
Are you experiencing food insecurities? If so, please contact your student success coach or Student Life.
Food resources in the community
Springfield Area Housing resources
- Abundant Faith Services (often hard to get into but offers men’s resources too): 217-527-1006
- Beer LaHai Roi (women’s ministry, pregnant women only): 217-698-4194
- Capitol Township (some funding for rental assistance/referral number): 217-525-1736
- Contact Ministries (provides referral/some shelter): 217-753-3939, 901 S. 11th Street, Springfield, IL 62703
- Fifth Street Renaissance/SARA Center (some housing/some referral/some funding): 217-544-5040, 1315 N. 5th St., Springfield, IL 62702
- Habitat for Humanity (to get information on how to get on list to get home built): 217-523-2710
- Helping Hands (some shelter/some food/some resources): 217-522-0048
- Homeless Prevention Program (resources/referral info): 217-782-0400, 800-843-6154
- Homeless Youth Services (can’t be older than 21): 217-782-0400, 800-843-6154
- Inner City Mission (shelter/some long term options): 217-525-3940
- MERCY Communities (shelter/transitional living for women and children only): 217-744-1126
- National Center for Homeless Education
- Phoenix Center (transitional for HIV positive): 217-528-5253 www.phoenixcenterspringfield.org
- Salvation Army Adult Rehabilitation (resource/referral): 217-528-7573
- Salvation Army Citadel (shelter): 217-525-2196
- Sojourn Shelter (domestic violence victims/women and their children): 217-726-5100, 217-726-5200
- Springfield Center for Independent Living (resource info for individuals with disabilities): 217-523-2587
- Springfield Dept. of Community Relations (landlord-tenant concerns and housing counseling): 217-789-2270
- Springfield Housing Authority (housing programs): 217-753-5757, 200 North 11th St., Springfield, IL 62703
- Springfield Overflow Shelter (does not operate year-round): 217-522-0048
- Supportive Housing Program (state resource info guide)
- Springfield Urban League (some financial resources): 217-789-0830
- U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
- Youth Services Bureau (some services for youth 21 and under who are working/homeless/etc.): 217-529-8300